Black Belt Plus (“BB+”) and My Fitness Kickboxing Burleigh (“MFKB”) has as its key objectives:
1. Providing instruction in a safe environment
2. Developing the mental and physical tools for improving personal safety and security.
3. Promotion of good health and vitality.
4. Development of positive self-esteem and self-confidence.
5. Development of a person as a positive role model in the community.
6. Creating expertise in confrontation management.
7. Pro-active crime prevention through increased awareness and positive attitudes.
8. Developing healthy community attitudes and values.
All persons participating in a class or course conducted by BB+ or MFKB must agree to be bound by this Code of Conduct. BB+ and MFKB reserves the right to make amendments or additions to this Code of Conduct at any time.
2. Participant Understanding
BB+ and MFKB conduct programs which are a contact activity, meaning it involves vigorous exercise and/or physical contact with training equipment and/or one or more other practitioners in ways designed to simulate as closely as possible the self-defence options available to a practitioner when confronted with physical aggression and/or threatening behaviour. As in any other physically demanding recreational activity, there is always a risk of injury. Any person participating in a class conducted by BB+ or MFKB does so with the full understanding that whilst it is the policy of BB+ and MFKB to minimise this risk, the nature of contact physical activity and/or vigorous exercise prevents its total elimination. Persons participating in a class conducted by BB+ or MFKB do so of their own volition and at their own risk. No member should ever misuse their training skills.
3. Instructor Qualifications
1. All unsupervised BB+ Instructors must have either a current National Coaching Accreditation Scheme (NCAS) accreditation or National Martial Arts Instructor Accreditation Scheme (NIAS) accreditation.
2. All unsupervised MFKB Instructors must have minimum Cert. 3 in Fitness accreditation.
3. All unsupervised Instructors are bound by the "Instructors Code of Ethics" of the Martial Arts Industry Association.
4. All unsupervised Instructors must have current WorkCover approved Senior First Aid certification.
5. All unsupervised Instructors must have in place appropriate and separate public liability and professional indemnity insurance.
6. All Instructors will be bound by this Code of Conduct and the National Code of Practise for Martial Arts Instructors
1. Instructors will ensure that the training area is clear of any dangerous and/or sharp objects that may provide a risk of injury.
2. Instructors will have access at all times to a fully equipped first aid kit.
3. Persons must not wear jewellery or watches during training.
4. All persons participating in training agree to maintain self-control at all times and maintain all care in the application of any technique.
5. Any person who, in training, exhibits behaviour that, in the judgement of the Instructor, is a danger to other participants, shall not be allowed to continue training until the Instructor determines the danger is no longer present.
5. Training Area Etiquette
1. Persons will bow in the appropriate manner upon entering the Training Area.
2. Shoes must be taken off before entering the training area unless the shoes are special martial arts footwear approved by the Instructor.
3. Persons must be punctual, preferably early, so that they are ready to train when class commences. If arriving late, a person must wait at the side of the Training Area until the Instructor indicates that a person may join the class.
4. Persons must not chew gum whilst training.
5. Food and/or drink (including water) must not be consumed whilst on the training area (however water only is permitted for MFKB classes).
6. Mobile phones must be turned off during training. Mobile phones inadvertently left on during training may not be answered. Any person who is “on-call” for work may seek approval from the instructor prior to the commencement of class to leave his or her mobile phone on.
7. Martial arts members (excluding My Fitness Kickboxing) are not permitted to train with another martial arts school or martial arts instructor without consent of Black Belt Plus management.
6. Uniforms & Training Gear
All Persons must wear the following approved clothing during all training sessions:
1. Uniform: BB+ custom uniform
2. T-shirt: BB+ custom t-shirt
3. Shoes: Only special martial arts training footwear which has been approved by the instructor.
4. Belts: Graded students must wear their belt.
5. Persons inappropriately attired will not be allowed to train.
6. In addition to the general uniform requirements, persons must bring a towel and filled water bottle
to each training session.
7. Sparring requirements
1. Persons participating in sparring activity must purchase and wear an approved mouth guard and bring this mouth guard to every training session.
2. In addition to their personal mouth guards, persons participating in sparring must wear full protective clothing, as supplied by BB+ or MFKB.
8. Sickness or Injury
1. Persons must not train if they are suffering from the flu or other viral infection that may be passed on to other persons.
2. Persons must advise the Instructor if suffering from any injury or medical condition, either permanent or temporary, which may be adversely affected by certain types of training. Some examples of this may include blood pressure problems and cardiac disorders, neck and back injuries, being overweight, diabetes and asthma.
3. If requested by the Instructor, persons with the above or like conditions must show this Code of Conduct to their physician and secure a medical certificate clearly stating that the person is able to participate in classes conducted by BB+ and MFKB and whether there are any restrictions or conditions applicable.
9. Other Health Issues
1. Persons must not attend training under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs.
2. Smoking is not allowed in the training centre or within 10m of any external doors.
3. Persons training must give proper attention to personal hygiene and exhibit clean grooming; and ensure that fingernails and toenails are trimmed and clean..
4. Persons with a cut or bleeding injury must cease training immediately and receive appropriate first aid. Rejoining the training session will not be allowed until the instructor has deemed that is safe to do so.
5. Persons administering first aid to a person suffering a cut or bleeding injury must wear protective gloves.
6. Necessary medications (e.g. asthma inhalers) should be carried by members at all times. The member must advise reception and their instructor of any important information regarding its use.
10. Training Area Ethics
1. Persons must always be courteous and helpful to each other.
2. Physical contact between persons who are training must be appropriate to the situation and necessary for the skill development of those persons.
3. Sexual harassment, defined as being where a person is subjected to unwanted or uninvited sexual behaviour, will not be tolerated.
4. Any form of discrimination based on sex, ethnic origin, language, colour, or other form of differentiation will not be tolerated.
11. Grading Conditions
1. Opportunity to grade under the BB+ syllabus occurs at regular times per calendar year. A person may only grade at these times subject to the final determination of the instructor.
2. Grading fees must be paid prior to attending a grading test.
3. In assessing a person’s readiness to grade, the Instructor takes into consideration such factors as consistency of attendance, attitude, focus and attention during training sessions, as much as a person’s knowledge of the BB+ syllabus to the point he or she wishes to grade.
4. To secure grading under the BB+ syllabus a person must be a current financial member of BB+.
5. Membership of BB+ requires a person to agree to be bound by this Code of Conduct.
6. BB+ reserves the right to revoke the grading of any person who breaches this Code of Conduct.